Monday, October 22, 2012

Off The Beaten Path


It would lovely if everything were to go as planned in this life. We learn at an early age that life is not always fair. We learn in teen years that nice guys can finish last and once we are well into adulthood, it's obvious that no good deed truly goes unpunished.



So here we all are! We have jobs and domiciles, children and pets... and who knew this was all going to happen this way? Did someone tell me this was even a remote possibility? I recall Disney making a few references to the role I play in this fleeting life. Have stereotypes prevailed? All those teen years of choosing baseball over ballerinas have put me on the path far distanced from that of a Cinderella tale.

Hi. I'm a parent. I'm a step-mother. I've been a step-mother for five years and counting and I truly L-O-V-E this role because I truly believe this is what was meant to be.



This being said, it's not an easy role. This sounds about right for my nature. I do not ever choose the easy path. It's as though I am magnetically drawn to emotional challenges. If that path is bumpy, I'd prefer it. If there is a chance I'd get stuck, I'd take the risk. I must learn. I must grow. I must look back with wry amusement. I hope my past and present experiences create open communication regarding the many aspects of this journey. 


While step-motherhood remains the focal point of this, there are many aspect for which I will likely dive into. Marriage, sex, parenting, relationships, divorce, children and more can all be wrapped up over time.

It's bound to be an ironic tale, and much worse than rain on your wedding day. That's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment